Tuesday, January 1, 2008

RIP holiday season


Farewell Christmas and New Year's and all the fa la la la la that came with them.

Don't get me wrong. This was one of the best Christmases I've had in a long time. The shoes (pics are coming, Bryan). The other running gear. The gift cards and other nice gifts. The days off work. The family that each year seems to matter a little more. The unrushed time we all spent together.

But the hustle and bustle of the season I'm done with. I'm ready to take down the tree, pack up the ornaments and find a place to put the sea of toys we now own. I have that urge again to simplify, get rid of the old and seldom used or worn things that fill our closets and toy chests, to make room for the new. I'll attempt that this weekend.

Today, I hung out with my best friend for six hours. We exchanged gifts, watched the Wizard of Oz, played with Rye, checked out vintage Husker T-shirts at Scheel's and then ate out (we let the boys come along). It was the first time I'd seen her since she moved to Connecticut almost a year ago. She looked exactly the same. Together, we were exactly the same. And I'm struck again by how lucky I am to have such a long-time friend, one I don't have to explain anything to -- because she gets me that well.

It's more than nice.

Happy New Year -- and on with the post-holiday routine. Maybe we can carry some of the holiday spirit with us.

5 comments:

Jeannine said...

Ah yes the simplify season is here! Cullen and I will start tomorrow at weeding out what we no longer need. Sounds like you had a great Christmas. We did too. Cool shoes by the way.

Cheers!

Veronica said...

Hey! I'm glad you wrote. I feel like I haven't heard from you in a while (but it's probably my fault for not initiating contact with you). I'm glad you had a good Christmas. Wish we could have seen you. Did you get my e-mail today, though, that we're planning a trip there in February? I miss you.

Jeannine said...

It has been awhile. It was somewhat tricky getting everything ready for Christmas since we were gone for ten days. That's a lot to remember especially when Christmas happiness is counting on you not to forget anything. Now we are back to our normal life though so you can count on me checking on your blog everyday at least once and bothering with my comments. I miss you to and I'm really looking forward to seeing you all.

Veronica said...

I completely forgot to ask about your trip -- how was it? Great, I bet.

Jeannine said...

The trip was lots of fun. Everything turned out just as Christmas should. The Taos trip was also very fun and relaxing. We went in the hot tub then rolled in the snow then back to the hot tub. Something I recommend if you haven't ever done it.