Thursday, June 10, 2010

And, yes, Paige had a birthday, too...


(So I'm a little late with Paige's letter. Two kids on back to back days is a lot to ask for heartfelt letters. Anyway, here we go.)

Dear Paige,

You are simply the sweetest child.

You are quick to laugh, to smile, to make me smile. I seem to love you more every day, if that's even possible.

I always wanted a girl. I wouldn't trade your brother for ANYTHING. But my life wouldn't be complete without you.

Who else would I play dolls, house and dress-up with? What other little girl's nails would I paint? Whose hair would I braid? What little girl would run and play and spin and look up at the clouds and dream with me?

You will.

There is just something about little girls. And you, sweet Paige, are as sweet as they come.

Sure, there are times when all I want to do is put you down. When my arm aches from holding you. When it'd just be so much easier to put butter on Rye's waffle with two hands. But then you tilt your head to the side and look at me with those big blue saucers and I melt.

And then you ask me to turn on the music and I do and we dance. Music has always calmed you. As a newborn, you liked loud and rockin' Pink. I loved that. The music and the bounce in my arms would put you to sleep in minutes. We'd spend many evenings dancing in the kitchen, me holding my little baby, while your brother and your dad played in the other room.

And now in the car when there's music you toss your head from side to side, that silly look-at-me-mama! smile on your face the whole time.

I love it.

You are brave and curious and questioning everything. "This?" you say and point. And then I tell you. "This?" And so on.

You are also sensitive. Airplanes scare you. You don't like loud noises. You don't like strangers. You like things as you know them. I don't blame you.

You're empathetic. When Rye cries, you know something's wrong.

And there is so much more, sweet girl, that makes you who you are. I can hardly believe that your first year has gone by so fast.

Hold on, mama, right? I certainly don't want to miss it.

Happy first birthday, my sweet baby! I'm so lucky to be your mom.

I love you!

Mama

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Awww. This is really nice of you to write these. They are going to love reading them when they're older. I love Paige's outfit/costume here.

Chris said...

I love her baby blues! You're a lucky mama to have such wonderful kids!

javamommy said...

Love the new look. Paige is pretty awesome, huh? :)

Veronica said...

Thanks, you guys!

Sara, this was Paige's "Super Cutie" costume she wore to her birthday party.

Chris, I know. Those eyes are something else!

Jess, yes. Totally awesome.