Wednesday, February 11, 2009

Valentine's Day

Have you ever made Valentines with a 3 1/2-year-old?

I just did. And it was pretty fun.

Rather than buying Valentines for his friends at daycare this year, I suggested we make them. I figured he'd say no, but instead I got an excited, "yeah!"

Alright, I thought. So we got to ditch the castle guys in the playroom in the basement and come upstairs where I retrieved the construction paper.

Rye picked out three pieces: a white sheet, a red sheet and a black one. I thought black might not send the right message, so I convinced him we should use red, white and pink.

So I made hearts, and he thought it was the coolest thing in the world. I like feeling talented at something!

And I liked that we weren't watching Justice League movies or playing in the basement with action figures like usual.

Maybe his friends will like our homemade effort, too.

Either way, we had fun doing it.

(And yes, is this a weak effort for a blog post or what? I just haven't been feeling it lately. Thanks to the four of you who still check to see if I've come up with something to say again yet...)

6 comments:

Jenny said...

You silly girl, this wasn't a weak effort for a blog post. It was really fun to read!

I'm so glad you had fun and I'm sure they all turned out really cute.

Happy Valentine's Day!

dane said...

Some of the best moments in life are the ones that are never planned and impossible to replicate -- like construction paper hearts, Monument hikes or the days infomercials didn't take the "Little House" spot.

Anonymous said...

How'd you know I check this all every day? Should I look for a hidden camera?:) I did not make valentine's with Isa but she did get them all together for her party. I loved watching her concentrate as she wrote her name on every single one. Cheers!

Anna said...

Yep, I too check it to see if you have written anything new...I love your observations, insights, and stories. Making construction paper hearts is a good one. Happy Heart Day.

Chris said...

We made homemade valentines for the grandparents and Bryan. Of course, I did most of the work. :) Glad you had a great time with it!

Happy Valentine's Day!

Anonymous said...

I've never made Valentines with a 3-year-old, but I did take pictures of first graders passing out Valentines to their classmates on Friday, which was kind of fun.

Happy Valentine's Day.